Sunday, May 31, 2009

Finally Some Luck


What did I tell you? Jared just left this morning and already I am so bored that I am blogging. But we finally caught some fish! No, it's  not a joke. We have photographed evidence. Jared and I took the boat out once again on Memorial Day and caught not one, but six fish. I actually caught a bass, which is something I wasn't even aiming for. We also tried swimming in the lake which was fine. The problem was getting back into the boat. Jared had a hard time getting up himself and had to literally haul me into the boat and I still almost didn't make it back up. I have a great video of this, but I will spare you as Jared was in his undies for the occasion (he didn't bother wearing a swimsuit). Here are some of the elusive fish.

 Me with crazy boat hair. I can't get a lot more pasty white than that. I prefer the terms porcelain or fair. I'm staying that way though. Gone are the days of tanning. I am a redhead - it's time to embrace it.

Pretty good-sized catfish - "regulation" as Jared kept saying. 

Unfortunately, as we were going back to shore - the boat died suddenly and for no apparent reason. The shop still doesn't know what is wrong with it. 

That's boats for you. So this week when we had visitors (Mike had a job over here and brought along Ben Judd and Kelly), there was no boat to show off. Instead they went ocean fishing, and had quite a bit of success with that as well. I didn't get to go (work - unfortunately) but I hear stories about Ben catching a prize shark (pictured below). Jared also got his finger mutilated by a rather angry fish. Now Jared wants an ocean boat. I told him in a good five years - maybe. 

That fish looks blood thirsty. I mean, have you ever seen an angrier fish? 
Judd's prize-winning shark. I better throw another one in. This one doesn't have a great angle. 



You can tell he's an actual shark in this one.

I better throw this one in too. I went to my first major league baseball game (Astros vs. Rangers). This is something I never intended or thought I would do. But they go a lot faster while you are watching them in life (thank goodness - they crawl on TV). So, it was really quite fun. The funniest part was when I was getting a soda at the snack bar I felt something rubbing my hair that didn't feel the least bit like a human hand. I thought Jared had followed me out and was messing with me. Of course, I only had seconds to identify this and find the culprit. I turned quickly and saw the Rangers mascot (a horse) striding off in the direction I had just come from. I started laughing and everybody looked at me like I was insane. It reminded me of a story my mom had told me. When she was in Okinawa (my grandpa was in the military) all the kids would always rub her hair because red hair is supposed to be good luck (at least in their culture). Of course, most other redheaded myths (including the witch one) are not as postitive, so I've always liked that particular one. It probably had nothing to do with why the mascot decided to rough me up a bit, but it was certainly amusing. 


I don't know what's up with the blue captions. But at any rate, this is us in the stands pre-horse roughing up.

2 comments:

The Laytons said...

Thanks for the update! I love seeing your pictures! I guess there is a good side to your hubby being gone for a while...we all get to see what's going on in your life!
I am totally jealous that you guys got to go fishing! Though I am imagining you guys trying to paddle when the boat stopped working and that makes me laugh so hard. Almost as hard as the image of you guys trying to get back in the boat. Ok, so I know I'm mean, but it is funny!! See you soon!

tara.and.ben said...

I totally know what you mean about having a hard time getting back into the boat from the water! I was once at Patagonia lake trying to do that. Only, I had a little help from all the adrenaline propelling me from the water. It was so freezing cold I was fighting for my life to get back in that boat!!

And you have now officially outnumbered me at fish catching. I have been fishing with my dad countless times in my life, and to this day, only caught ONE fish. But at least there was that ONE!